Proudfit Memorial Hall was built on the site of the Old Salem Hotel.
Originally the hall housed two stores and the fire department on the first floor,
a 20x40 foot stage along seating for 650 to 700 people, dressing rooms, and galleries.
The third floor consisted of two large rooms. The South Wing (both floors) housed the Library,
and opened on Dec. 5, 1891. Proudfit Hall was wired for electricity in 1909, and burned in 1976.
After the fire only the first floor was reconstructed to house the Salem Library and Fire House.